Monday, May 31, 2010

Yemeni Friends








I am married to a Yemeni man so most of the people we meet are Yemeni. Occasionally I may meet a Jordanian or Palestinian woman who happens to be married to a Yemeni man. I think this is because Arab cultures are different from country to country. Therefore, Yemeni people are probably most comfortable with others from Yemen.

I have a few Yemeni friends that I get the privilege to visit with from time to time. Not nearly as much as I would like to. But when I do, I am constantly enamored with them. They are beyond hospitable and make me and my kids feel like the most special people.

Never do you ask for anything to drink. Before you know it there will be a cup of tea or a glass of juice or a bottle of water right in front of your eyes. If you are feeling a little peakish, dont worry, because there will surely be a snack in front of your eyes the next time you blink. If you are tired and wanta rest, they are more than willing to offer you a bed to go in and have a nap.

Upon your arrival or shortly thereafter you will have a feast ready for you to enjoy. Tradtional Yemeni dishes that are the best when made authentic. Not to mention the breads that are freshly baked. Who knew you could spell YUM in so many different ways?

Sitting and chatting and snacking and laughing is so peaceful. Even among the chaos that the children are creating. The time always flies by so fast and I am saddened to see our visit come to an end because I know that it will be a while before we enjoy one another's company again.

But let me not forget to mention that I never leave their house empty-handed. I cant recall a time that I left without having at least a fresh bread to be able to come home and enjoy with a cup of tea.

Recently I befriended 2 sisters who happen to be Yemeni as well. And they have further made my opinion of Yemeni people grow. One of them is so sweet that she even mailed me a package of things that came from Yemen. So special because we havent known each other for that long but she was so generous and shared the things that she had. MashaAllah.

While I have never visited Yemen. I may never be able to lay eyes on the beautiful mountains. Or smell the air from the sea in Aden. Or enjoy country life in the village. I still feel like I have found the best that Yemen has to offer. Because after your eyes have seen the mountains and your nose has smelled the air of Aden and your body has relaxed from the peaceful village life, what is left? Only the love and joy and comfort you find amongst really good friends. MashaAllah wa Alhamdulila.

No comments:

Post a Comment