Sunday, June 20, 2010

Are you hot in that?


Any muhajaba has probably been asked at least once "Are you hot in that?". Typical of a non-Muslim to think so but truthfully being covered from head to toe in summer time is really nothing new. It isnt something that just started happening. I still to this day will see some older people wear long sleeves in the summer.

Just yesterday as I was in sync with the veggies in the produce section an elderly lady was shopping with her granddaughter and she asked "Arent you hot in that?" I said "No I'm very comfortable." She looked... stunned. Or maybe she didnt believe me. But I told her the truth about the situation. I said, " Honestly, Im probably cooler in this than you are." Of course she couldnt understand how I would be cooler in my blue underscarf, black hijab, blue blouse, black cardigan, blue leggings, denim skirt, black socks and black shoes while she had on a sleeveless blouse, shorts and sandals. But while she was walking around sweating, I was rather comfortable. So you do the math.

But I think about it now and wish that I had thanked her. She at least had the decency to ask. Others make comments and laugh and sneer and jeer and make me the butt of their jokes like Im not even human. Same store yesterday, 2 teenage girls came strutting by me and giggled as they passed in their white tank tops and teeny tiny shorts. It is as if a person should be ashamed for covering themselves for the sake of God. But they arent gonna make me feel ashamed. Allahu akbar!

They are the ones who are pawns of the fashion industry. Do they really think that these fashion designers and clothing makers respect women? I mean, if they respected women they could design a long sleeved paper bag and make it look good. But instead they opt to make things that reveal the breasts and bottom and legs and arms and barely cover what's left.

Besides what is wrong with wanting only your husband to see your beauty? Oh yeah, that's right. Because these girls are taught to look around and search for a husband. And he has to see your beauty if you expect him to marry you. Show him ALL of the goods and then let him decide if he wants you or not. And many many times, dear sad girl, it is the latter. Thereby creating a very very poor self image inside a beautiful young woman.
The one thing in this world that I am certain of is that we will all meet the same Creator one day. We will all be asked about the decisions in our lives. Somehow I dont think that covering ones hair and dressing modestly is gonna make Allah displeased. Allahu Alim! So until that time comes, Im just gonna keep brushing those comments off and May Allah be pleased with us all for our efforts in his name, Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment